Saturday, August 14, 2010

Reflections of Summer

We can't believe that summer is over for another year.  This summer, unlike the previous two, didn't find us moving to another state or another country.  Even though summer is a much needed break it gave our family too much time on our hands and on our minds.  We were able to think about everything that we were missing from home...the people...the food...the familiar smells...wheat harvest...my list could go on and on.  Needless to say the month of June seemed to pass slowly, and then July arrived and with it so did family.  We were all excited to see Jeff's parents, Gerry & Jean Selzer, arrive safely from Hesston, Kansas.  While they were here we went to see Borobudur Temple as well as traveled to Jepara to spend a little time at the beach.  We were able to spend two weeks with them and our children loved having Grandparents around to play games with, in fact two weeks wasn't nearly enough time.

Then the Oklahoma side of our family arrived bringing not only a grandma and an aunt but cousins!  The kids had a blast showing their two cousins their Indonesian world.  Upon their arrival Quin, Abby, Zach took their cousins to a local warung to buy ice cream.  While my family was in Indonesia we traveled to Bali and Prambanan Temple.  The kids would say that the best part was boogie boarding in Bali with their cousins.  For Jeff & I it was having family near rather than far away and actually being able to touch them.  For this reason we wish summer could of lasted just a bit longer if it meant having our loved ones near us, but like all things summer to has to end.  Now we are looking forward to our second school year at MICS and we pray that God will use us to bless our students and their families.

3 comments:

  1. Hi this is aunt carolene. Now that the wedding is over and I am officially "retired" I want to do some things I want to do rather than doing things I HAVE to do! Have tried to subscribe to your blog. Hope this works, and I hope you get this comment?? Let me know. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys. I miss you all and think about you often. Just last week someone called me Brother Ben and I thought "Oh Jeff used to do that. I miss the Selzers." Fall's about to start, and with that comes BOWLING. I still remember when we went bowling and thus it started my losing bowling record with the pastors. NOT ONLY A LOSING RECORD, BUT A PUMMELING ON TOP OF THAT. I bet Jeff's only gotten better. THE PASTOR'S REIGN ON THE TOP OF THE BOWLING PODIUM WILL COME TO AN END. I told Pastor Andrea that if she and Mike ever went bowling with me she'd have a pretty good chance at victory. Work is going well. Still in the same place and having a good day most days, so that's good. Mom and Dad are still trucking and doing well. You should e-mail me sometime. Take care.
    Brother Ben

    ReplyDelete