Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Students say the most interesting things!

This year I’m teaching freshmen Biology.  I’m really enjoying the class.  I have fourteen students, twelve of whom are boys.  One of the exciting things about students is that you never know what they are going to say, especially freshmen. 
Last night while I was grading papers I came across one such example in an essay entitled How Biology Touches Our Lives.  I received all of the expected answers like contributions to safe food, medicine and the prevention of disease, care for the environment and predicting nature events like earthquakes. 
However one student surprised me a bit.  He stated that “without Biology we wouldn’t know how to reproduce.”  His comment made me laugh.  In fact the more I thought about it the harder I laughed.  I’m not completely sure what the young man is hoping to learn this year but I’m afraid that he’s going to be very disappointed with my Biology class.  We won’t be studying the topic of how to reproduce, just cellular reproduction and genetics.  I think I’ll invite his parents to field the “how to reproduce” question at home. 
If you are a parent reading this post, you might want to sit down with your child and help them understand the "how questions" of reproduction and the appropriate context for its application, namely within the marriage covenant.  I know these can be awkward conversations but I think they are important ones for parents to have with their children.  If you've already had sex conversations with your own kids, please pray for those of us who haven't.  In our household, we've had the conversation with one but still have two to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment